Review of Operating Principles
1. Industry Compliance 2. Environmental Management 3. Staffing Comprehension 4. Marketing
Step 1: Self -Evaluation
Applicants will complete a report with framework of the four points above that also references HHR Hana Pono registered commercial partner criteria checklist found on the operators page. This should be an overall description of the company and principles of the operation in autobiography form. Please include as attachments to further support your claims; reports, letters of recommendation, photos, other industry certifications or accomplishments.
Step 2: HHR Evaluation
An HHR Evaluator will contact the Applicant to review the checklist and schedule an in-person evaluation. The Evaluator then participates in the activity, or observes any pertaining component of the operation to verify the criteria checklist, and rates the applicant on the various operating principles.
Step 3: HCA Review & Certification
The HHR Evaluator will submit their findings and all supporting documentation to HCA board for final approval. HHR will then contact the Applicant regarding their certification award status. For those that do not attain certification, a report detailing key metrics that were not satisfied will be returned to the operator and they are offered the opportunity to be reevaluated within six months.
Once an operation has been certified, its (2) expectations for certification deliverables:
1. Facilitate an annual, personalized staff training, facilitated by HHR committee.
2. Monthly submissions, Statement of Gross Income for activities related to the Road to Hana.
- Annual, personalized staff training; Road to Hana Code of Conduct Presentation, Q&A
- Visitor Industry and Community advocacy, including but not limited to;
- Hana Pono registered commercial partners list ‘page’ at HanaHighwayRegulation.com
- Hana Pono registered commercial partners list published bi-annually via Hana Side News.
- Hana Pono registered commercial partners list published reference card, distributed direct to concierge, activity agencies and desks. [200 per month]
- Hana Pono registered commercial partners list verbal reference, via applicable community meetings, special event presentations, concierge and visitor industry training seminars.
- (1) Hana Pono seal vinyl decal per registered company equipment piece determined by PUC vehicle inventory or general equipment use decal request form.
- Digital badge including .pdf and .jpg of HANA PONO seal for website and media promotion, perimeters in detail within the Hana Pono RCP Certification Agreement, per seal usage policy.
HHR’s certification is not intended to say that every tour operator is 100% sustainable. What we are doing is helping to identify tour operators that are going above and beyond to try and reduce the impacts of tourism on the natural environment; improve the community in which they work; and share a sense of place with visitors. We look at the company as a whole, particularly their management practices, to see that they have a commitment to continually improving how they operate.